Bluff Park Historic District
The Bluff Park Historic District is a small residential neighborhood located in the City of Long Beach, California.
On July 20, 1982, it became the 2nd neighborhood to be given historic landmark status by the city. Residents of the neighborhood played a key role in the initiation of the city’s historic preservation movement.
The borders of the District run from E. Ocean Boulevard on the south to E. Broadway on the north, and from Redondo Avenue on the west to Loma Avenue on the east.
It consists of mostly of stately single-family and multi-family houses constructed between 1903 and 1949. Located along the ocean bluffs, large two-story Craftsman Bungalows and Period Revival styles predominate with a mix of other significant architectural styles.
The area was named for its proximity to the Bluff Park, which is a 25 acre (100,000 square meter) south of E. Ocean Boulevard and atop the tall bluff overlooking the sandy beach of the Pacific Ocean. A replica of the Lone Sailor Statue resides in the park as a tribute to Long Beach’s naval history.
Living in an Historically Designated District
Living in a historic district in Long Beach comes with both privilege and responsibility.
The original ordinance for the Bluff Park Historic District and other city ordinances dictate how the District’s long history will be preserved in our modern and changing times.
Residents must be mindful of changes that they wish to make to their residences to ensure the integrity and beauty of the neighborhood.
Historic District Guidelines in the City of Long Beach
Bluff Park District Ordinance
Map of Bluff Park
Bluff Park Neighborhood Association
The Bluff Park Neighborhood Association (BPNA) is a volunteer, charitable organization with the mission to protect and promote the historic character of the Bluff Park Historic District.
The Association represents all who live, rent and own in the Bluff Park Historic District. Voluntary membership dues are fully tax-deductible and help support all its worthy endeavors.
The organization originally started in 1972 under the name “Beach Area Concerned Citizens.” Recognizing the changing role of the organization to be more focused on the neighborhood, the name was changed in 1998.
BPNA helps foster a sense of unity and neighborhood collaboration, community service and goodwill for all of the city. Its goals are to
- Increase neighborhood involvement and participation in the community
- Protect, preserve, safeguard and beautify the Bluff Park Historic District
- Support the neighborhood residents and their environment
It operates as a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit entity under Federal Tax ID 95-3080429.
Board of Directors
- Jeffrey Mallin, President
- Rolando Cruz, Treasurer
- Marilyn Jefreys, Secretary
- Wally Downing, Vice President of Historic Preservation
- Jonathan Glover, Vice President of Public Safety
- Marco Pizzo, Vice President of Events and Fundraising
- OPEN POSITION (as of July 26, 2017), Vice President of Communications
Association Bylaws and Policies